Can you get custody if the other parent is a flight risk?

| Sep 20, 2021 | Child Custody |

If you have gone through a divorce and had a difficult custody battle, one of the things you may be concerned about is parental kidnapping. Parents generally commit a child abduction in situations where they’re angry or upset with their co-parent or disagree with the custody order. 

In your case, you may be wondering what you can do to prevent a possible abduction. The good news is that there are a few options open to you, such as asking the court to put restrictions on your co-parent’s legal custody rights or to require supervised visitation when your child is with them.

What should you do if you think your ex is a flight risk?

If you believe that your ex will flee with your child, it’s better to take that matter to your attorney sooner rather than later. You may be able to obtain a court order that prohibits your child from being taken out of the country or even the state. You might also be able to alter your custody arrangements so you can have custody more often or make sure that a third party is present when your co-parent visits with your child.

If you plan to assert that the other parent could flee with your child, make sure you have as much evidence as possible of it. It is ideal if you can compile documentation showing that your co-parent applied for your child’s passport or a visa without your permission. If you have proof that they gathered together important documents, like school and medical records, or you can show that they have mentioned leaving to your child, then this can be helpful in your case as well. This evidence will help you make your case and get the help you need in court.