Can a child support agreement be modified?

On Behalf of | Jan 4, 2020 | Child Support |

If you are a Tennessee parent who has gone through a divorce, you currently have a child support agreement in place between you and your former spouse. However, life takes different turns, and occasionally you might experience a shift in life circumstances, either financial or otherwise. You may wonder whether this change has the ability to affect how much money you pay or receive each month in child support.

According to the Tennessee Department of Human Services, both the custodial and non-custodial parent are able to request a review if they can demonstrate why there should be a modification of financial support. This means that you cannot just go to the courts and ask for more money, but rather must prove why it is a justifiable request. There are many different reasons why you might be seeking this change. One reason may be the existence of another child who was not part of the original agreement and now needs financial support. Conversely, your current support may provide financially for a child who has now become emancipated.

There are many other possibilities as to why you might want to revisit your original agreement. For one, if your former spouse has experienced a significant bump in income, you may request the amount of support you receive to reflect this. Many common reasons that trigger modification include:

  • A significant inheritance
  • A loss of job or income
  • Private school tuition after previously attending public school
  • Different or more costly extracurricular activities
  • Additional medical expenses, such as braces

The above information is provided for educational purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal advice.